Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Ripple Effect

In a previous blog entry, I mentioned the "ripple effect" of kindness - of thoughtfulness.  I think of that Kelly LeBrock shampoo commercial from the 80s (I certainly do not hate her because she's beautiful), when she says, "I told my friends, and they told their friends, and so on, and so on, and so on ..."  Now switch out the "I told my friends" with "I said or did something kind for a complete stranger" and the next line becomes, "... and they said or did something kind for a complete stranger, and so on, and so on ..."

I'm not being original here - this concept of a domino effect is nothing new.  But it's amazing how often I forget, I choose to hold back a thoughtful word or act or - worse - I choose to be unkind, and I cause the wrong kind of ripple.  Still a ripple.  Now imagine that happening all over.  *shiver*

For the past 4-5 years, I've worn one of those "remember" wristbands.  I got the idea from a planned family reunion where I wanted to honor my Gram Welsh.  One of the last things she said to me had an impact that I think about on a daily basis and try to act upon.  We were talking, then we were silent, just smiling at each other like a Gram and Grandson tend to do.  She then said, "Be kind, Greg".  I said, "Okay Gram".   She persisted ... "No, not just now or tomorrow or next week.  Be kind whenever given the opportunity."   She went on to say that we're faced with situations where our ego may get in the way - where life might get in the way and we either choose to miss those opportunities or do the opposite for spiteful or self-righteous reasons.  "Most of all, in those situations - just Be Kind."

So on my wrist band, I have embossed "Be Kind" and I never take it off.  I'm not saying I act upon that every time.  Sometimes I still forget.  I wear the wrist band because I need the reminder and, by wearing it, it's most likely than not that I'll remember to be nice.

  • If someone looks nice/sharp today - tell them so, right away.
  • If someone has a talent or a manner that you admire - tell them so, right away.
  • If you care for someone - tell/show them right away and tell them why.

You'll have no idea the impact it will have.  They will feel compelled - or at least empowered - to "pass along the kindness" ... to "pay it forward".  That's the ripple effect we need.  Imagine THAT happening all over.  Wow.

We should be able to do that automatically, but most of us do not.  That is why we need reminders and help making it happen.  That's how I want to live my life and that is why we started HowGiving.

Be thoughtful.  Be kind.

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog