Friday, June 20, 2014

Give and the World Gives With You

In previous posts, we've discussed The Ripple Effect and the positive (or negative) impact that can have on you, those around you, those around those around you, those around those around those around you ... you get the picture.  And what a wonderful (or horrible) effect that is.  But let's focus on the positive.

When I give, I feel good.  Now, that doesn't mean I give to feel good, but I certainly feel I'm doing something right when I stop thinking of myself for a minute and focus on another.  Whether it's as simple as smiling at those who walk by, buying lunch for the person behind you in the drive through, or remembering their birthday, the impact on me - I believe - is greater than anything else.  It makes me want to give even more!  Can you relate?

But the impact on others is the really cool part.  Remembering someone's birthday results in that person feeling loved and thought of ... and it gets them thinking, "Hmm, I should acknowledge birthdays more often."  And - as a result - maybe they remember 1 or 2 people's birthdays.  And so on ... one would expect (or at least hope).

The butterfly effect - a term coined by Edward Lorenz - is a powerful concept.  A small effort can produce enormous gains.  A moment of kindness or a small sacrifice for someone else can have a potential tsunami of kindness down the line.

And it all starts with you.  And me.  And him.  And her.

HowGiving.com is alive and rolling (and free!).  I can't believe it's come this far, with simple features for remembering and acknowledging those you care about, all the way through to a purchase.  So cool - so much potential.  This is just the beginning.

Here are a few things coming down the pike:

  • Mobile app - both Android and iOS!  Coming VERY soon.
  • Notifications - reminders to get up there and acknowledge!
  • LinkedIn import - This is already available!
  • And so much more ...
I'm the main target for HowGiving.com ... someone who cares, but can not seem to consistently give to those I care about.  My intentions are there, but the execution is less than stellar.  Maybe you're the same.  If so, get up there and try it out.  You have nothing to lose and plenty to gain.

Imagine the positive ripple effect of remembering just one or two of your favorites peeps' birthdays, anniversaries or whatever events.  Huge!  Let's do this together!  World peace!  Love for the masses!


HowGiving ... your (and my) automated thoughtfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog